On the Unpopularity of Leftish TV shows....

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 10 16:43:03 PDT 2002

Marta Russell wrote:

> [...]

This is characteristic of political humor: it needs a defenseless victim. "Left" humor of the Eisenhower era had to go along with the major ideological tool of that administration: the pretense that Eisenhower was stupid. Hence the love of so many on this list of equating capitalist policy with stupidity. Whether or not Bush is personally not very bright is totally irrelevant. His administration is bright enough. The archetype of all humor based on Bush's alleged stupidity is the joke about "Bushonics" -- the real (whether intended or not) target of that being Ebonics: mockery of which in turn simply repeats the contempt of three or four thousand years for stupid peasants, etc.

If someone can devise a left humor that does _not_ put down any individual person as stupid, incompetent, clumsy, fat, clumsy, blind, deaf, dumb, etc., he/she might have something. _Might_.

Carrol