Anniversary

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Wed Sep 11 18:35:32 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2002 3:05 PM Subject: Re: Anniversary

> A mere 5,000 - just 67% more than were killed in the original
> attacks. And since they're Afghans, their death toll has to be
> adjusted in accordance with the "Life Is Cheap Over There" factor.
> Compelling math indeed. Madeleine Albright would be proud of you! And
> Michael Walzer too!
>
> Doug

I generally try to post within your daily limit, but such a provocative cheapshot obviously demands a quick response. Doug, do you happen to believe there's some sort of "kill quota" predetermined by how many of "ours" "they" killed? Contrary to what seems to be the implication of your reply, I would suppose not.

Do I think an unmolested Al Qaida probably would've killed far more than 5,000 Americans (hell, they almost did last year)? Yep. Do I think Afghanistan is better off now, all things considered, than they were last year? Yes again. I guess holding those two beliefs in conjunction (although the latter alone would probably suffice) makes me an inhumane asshole in your book. So be it.