Anniversary

Yoshie Furuhashi yoshie_furuhashi at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 12 04:00:06 PDT 2002

--- Luke Weiger <lweiger at umich.edu> wrote:
> [...]

On a population scale, 3,767 Afghan civilians -- the number that Marc W. Herold's initial study based on reports between October 7, 2001 and December 6, 2001 estimated -- is equivalent to 38,000 dead U.S. civilians, or roughly eleven World Trade Center attacks. I'll leave it to you to calculate comparative proportions of the deaths in Afghanistan and the United States based on Doug's more current figure of 5,000. The disproportion, granted, is not likely to give you a pause in the warpath.

> Do I think an unmolested Al Qaida probably would've
> killed far more than
> 5,000 Americans (hell, they almost did last year)?

"Would have" without evidence is a useful mood indeed.

Yoshie