Gulf War Syndrome stats withheld

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Sep 11 18:44:13 PDT 2002

>- --- jbrown72073 at cs.com wrote:
>> Roughly 110,000 Gulf War vets are registered with
>> the VA and DoD for Gulf War illness--the gov't
>> admits about 25,000 are sick. I haven't seen
>> a peep about this from the left.
>
>Yoshie:
>Then, you haven't watched _Hidden Wars of Desert
>Storm_ (Dir. Gerard Ungerman and Audrey Brohy)

Yes, there's a lot of good stuff out there on Gulf War Syndrome, as well as plenty that's questionable. I meant that the anti-war movement is not using U.S. casualties in the last war as an argument against a new all-out war with Iraq. In other words, we're letting the myth of the 'war without U.S. casualties' stand.

Of course, if the main cause is depleted uranium weaponry, these people would be victims of what the military calls 'friendly fire.' Guess they're not referring to the class war.

C. Jannuzi writes:
>I should think 'simple human decency' would mean
>that no one should have to go screw up their
>immune system fighting in a war for the US in
>order to qualify for decent medical care.
>Certainly no one I know on the left would deny
>said (non-existent) medical care because of past
>jobs, including military service.

A shop steward on strike at a chicken processing plant in rural north Florida a few years ago told me she hoped her son would go into the military cause then he'd have medical care. Oh, sister.

J.