Afghan war dead?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Sep 12 12:28:58 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles Jannuzi" <b_rieux at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 1:47 AM Subject: Re: Afghan war dead?

> http://www.counterpunch.org/jensendead.html
>
> This article cites the professor in New
> Hampshire, and his figure as of December was over
> 3700 civilian deaths. The article also explains
> why this is a conservative estimate--it has to be
> for the sake of rigour in compiling the numbers.

Did you see what figure the author's cited as the most realistic? 5,000. Besides, Herold's "research" was less than useless-- he often just added together figures he found well surfing the net. I believe his estimate of 5,000 mirrors that of the Taliban.

> This also means that, officially, as far as I can
> tell, the US military has killed more civilians
> in Afghanistan than it has combatants, because
> the only figures I can find for the combatant
> category stops last November and only totals up
> to about 3000.

The number is much larger than that. I think more than a 1,000 former Taliban troops died while they were being transported by the Northern Alliance.

-- Luke