Anniversary

Liza Featherstone lfeather32 at erols.com
Thu Sep 12 11:00:47 PDT 2002

> From: Yoshie Furuhashi <yoshie_furuhashi at yahoo.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 04:35:18 -0700 (PDT)
> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com
> Subject: Re: Anniversary
>
> --- Liza Featherstone <lfeather32 at erols.com> wrote:
>>> Oh yeah -- the proclamations of the al-Qaeda
>> filth, broadcast on Al Jazeera
>>> and elsewhere, show clearly what they have in
>> mind, and that they are far
>>> from through. They are our enemies, comrades. They
>> must go.
>>>
>>> DP
>>
>> Hear, hear. But does anyone seriously disagree with
>> this? If the U.S. were
>> simply seeking to rid the world of Al Qaeda, rather
>> than preparing to
>> overthrow whole governments with no proven ties to
>> AQ, and to slaughter
>> thousands more innocents, I'd like to think no
>> leftists would seriously
>> object.
>
> You meant to say that "if the U.S. were simply seeking
> to rid the world of Al Qaeda _wihout violating civil
> rights, human rights, and international laws_...,"
> right?

Right.

Otherwise, I would seriously object.

> In any case, what's the point of "if this" and "if
> that"? We are confronting the US government and
> society as they exist now, not as they could possibly
> be in some distant future.
>
> Yoshie

My point is that we can agree with Dennis that AQ are "our enemies" and "must go" without endorsing GWB's War on the Whole World. I hate and deplore just about every aspect of the war - the roundup of immigrants, the planned attack on Iraq - but I'd cheer Osama's death - or arrest - with ecstatic joy.

towards a multiplicity of passionate hatreds (imperialists, terrorists, etc)...

Liza