Afghan war dead?

Cliff Staples Clifford_staples at und.nodak.edu
Fri Sep 13 08:46:55 PDT 2002

Wojtek:

All points well taken. But I've been a sociologist for 20 years and I know all about the trouble of counting things (someday I'll tell you the story about the energy audit survey I was involved in where several homes in our study had fewer fireplaces in them then they did a year earlier), and the political construction of statistics, official and otherwise. My point is that if you put numbers out there without taking care to give people a reasonable way of figuring out how you came up with them you leave yourself even more open to the sort of hackwork you so ably critiqued.

But, as I also said, if you're into battling body counts maybe you've already conceded too much anyway.

regards,

Cliff