Cooper on the anniversary

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Sep 14 08:56:02 PDT 2002

Mark Cooper article:
>> The left, already tiny and
>> isolated, has too frequently derived its industrial-strength
>> self-righteousness from its own marginality. The left actually fears
>> engagement with the broader society around it. It chooses
>> self-loathing. Or, better, the loathing of all those common folk in
>> whose name and interests it claims to be "struggling." So when
>> millions of ordinary Americans, shocked and frightened by September
>> 11, and moved by the scale of the human tragedy, and wanting to do
>> something, put out a flag, the American left responded too often not
>> with compassion, but with scorn.

Cooper's definition of the left (tiny, isolated, marginal) leads to his conclusion. His argument crumbles if he includes, for example, the civil rights, union, or feminist movements. I think it reflects Cooper's particular warped view of "common folk" who are "struggling"--their movements are never left, right?

Jenny Brown