Cooper on the anniversary

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Sat Sep 14 09:40:41 PDT 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: <JBrown72073 at cs.com>
>Cooper's definition of the left (tiny, isolated, marginal) leads to his
>conclusion. His argument crumbles if he includes, for example, the civil
>rights, union, or feminist movements. I think it reflects Cooper's
>particular warped view of "common folk" who are "struggling"--their
movements
>are never left, right?
>Jenny Brown

Except that Cooper's definition matches many people on this list, who define anyone outside the margins as non-"left." Heck, I've been in the leadership of actually existing left organizations from the Committees of Correspondence to the National Lawyers Guild, yet regularly yet defined as outside the "left." It's a mighty bizarre club to exclude those who have actually paid their dues :)

-- Nathan Newman