Anniversary

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sat Sep 14 20:04:25 PDT 2002

Marc Rodrigues:

> this is a load of shit and you and I both know it. and if you don't
> think so, then you have some serious questions to ask as to why you are
> so eager to see the u.s. go bombs away on random arab/muslim country.

I'm not eager, and this is not random. It is specific, and based on mass murder committed within the US.

> maybe the leadership of al qaeda really have no concern for the truly
> oppressed masses of arab people.

Maybe?

> but fact of the matter is, if not for
> the u.s. presence in the region, if not for the u.s./zionist
occupation/colonization
> of Palestine, if not for u.s. actions over the past 12 years in iraq,
> if not for u.s. imposition and support for undemocratic rulers in the
> entire region, if not for u.s./israeli behavior in general, do you think
> for one second that a tiny group of looney tunes like al qaeda would
> be able to gather a large following?

Preaching to the choir regarding the abuse of Palestinians by the US and Israel. But the fact remains, the PLO never undertook the kind of operation that al-Qaeda celebrated, and that separates them. Also, al-Q never has had "a large following" in the Middle East. Only Pakistan recognized the Taliban dictatorship. And for good reason -- it was their occupation government, a brutal, violent occupation I'm sure you and your pals never protested. Or did you?

> or do you just believe that large
> groups of arab/muslim people are illogical fanatics and want to "imprison
> people under sharia law" which is a statement that makes almost no sense--
> why would somebody "attempting to impose sharia" in western asia attack
> the pentagon?

Not "large groups" -- al-Q and its offshoots. Read Rashid's "Taliban."

> people who were inventing algebra while europeans shitted themsleves
> in straw huts can't be that dumb.

Al-Q and the Taliban have enforced a backward, reactionary theocracy. US culture, for all of its faults, is superior to that. Or would you prefer to operate in, say, Saudi Arabia?

DP