Anniversary

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 15 08:20:23 PDT 2002

>Al-Q and the Taliban have enforced a backward, reactionary theocracy. US
>culture, for all of its faults, is superior to that. Or would you prefer to
>operate in, say, Saudi Arabia?
>
>DP

Hooray, the US doesn't have public beheadings. But we do nevertheless have capital punishment -- albeit neat, clean, clinically precise and minimally invasive! -- a hopelessly corrupt ruling establishment, ever dwindling civil rights and social services, and a culture stupefied by mindless religiosity.

We are, in short, a "backward, reactionary" (nominal) democracy. I wouldn't cross the street to save the American Way of Life let alone go to war.

Carl