Anniversary

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Sep 15 10:38:14 PDT 2002

Peter K. wrote:

>During the Vietnam war, you'll remember, the popular anti-war
>movement actually accomplished things. I don't seem to recall that
>people would say stuff like "I wish the US would stop acting like a
>bully, but I would cheer if they killed Ho Chi Minh."

No doubt there was a lot of uncritical cheering of the Vietcong in the 1960s, but still there was something to admire in what they stood for - and when Eugene Genovese famously said he'd welcome a VC victory, he was right. There is nothing to admire in ObL. More than a year later, a lot of antiwar/antiimperialist people have yet to process the implications of that fully.

Doug