Anniversary

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sun Sep 15 12:54:16 PDT 2002

>And vice versa too. Hitch - who's stopped responding to my emails inviting
>him to be on the radio - seems to intoxicated by the evil of AQ that he's
>now blind to the crimes of U.S. imperialism, except as they're embodied in
>the person of Henry Kissinger. It's like Kissinger's become the container
>for all the horrific violence perpetrated by the U.S., leaving the rest of
>the structure innocent.
>
>Doug

>I think he's also intoxicated with, among possibly other things, being on
TV a lot more than he used to be. I don't think it's any accident that the more he rails against AQ, and the less he talks about the oil interests behind the Bush interest in Iraq (for example) the more he gets on TV. I think he's being used.. which is not to say that I disagree with him on all counts.

>Cliff
------------------------- Oh and he drinks a lot too! How many times have I read the Puritanical, blue-nosed prudes of the left and right report that?

I've seen and heard much worse abuse and insults directed at him from the left lately, so I don't see why it's a surprise he doesn't want to go on your show at the moment. Maybe he thinks you're going to ask him why, in your mind, he's so infatuated with "that idiot" Roiphe and other wife-beating questions? I mean, can you blame him? By the way, I don't think he's been on TV as much as he once was. And it's more likely he's just really busy at the moment. I heard he was just at the Telluride film festival for a Q&A/debate with Michael Moore and he'll be at the 92nd St Y in November with Lewis Lapham, Anthony Lewis and Samantha Power. So he'll be in New York City in November, why not try him then?

Peter