why we are so weak

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 17 13:40:09 PDT 2002

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> Liza wrote:
>
> There was also a group in Detroit
> >I know of that agreed not to condemn the attacks - a close friend of mine,
> >who agreed with that decision, is a member of the group. I heard anecdotally
> >- from peace activists around the country - about other examples. Of course,
> >as I said, many peace groups did condemn the attacks.
>
> Without knowing which groups you are talking about, I'm unable to
> make firm judgments about them. As even you conclude that "many
> peace groups" did condemn the attacks, however, perhaps the refusal
> to condemn them is not as widespread as you and Doug initially made
> it sound like.

There is obviously some confusion between two quite different positions:

1) A refusal to condemn

2) An affirmation of the pointlessness of condemning or not condemning AQ

And of course position 1 further sub-divides into

A. Refusal to issue a condemnation

B. Approval

All in all an increasinglyl boring conversation, which I doubt is of great interest to many people outside the somewhat claustrophobic realm of LBO. And the conversation is, moreover, grounded from the beginning in the radically false premise (a premise which I have been attacking from my very earliest days on maillists stretching back to the old Spoons Marxism list) that there exists an entity called "The Left" in the U.S. today which can be usefully characterized. Clearly "The Left" that Liza and Doug (and others) discuss has no existence outside their own imaginations.

Carrol