Lefty Despair

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Wed Sep 18 13:17:21 PDT 2002

>--- Cian <co015d5200 at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
>> The impression one gets from a large chunk of the
>> left, is that they're more
>> obsessed with being righteous, than actually
> > changing anything.
>
>The one I hear from the left a lot is: "If people
>start joining our momement in droves, then we're
>probably doing something wrong."
>
>=====
>Kevin Dean

Why are so many LBO-talkers obsessed with finding fault with "the left"? If leftists themselves don't like "the left," why should anyone else? Self-flagellation and self-deprecation are unattractive. It makes sense to flog "the left" ritually once we cease to consider ourselves leftists, but, otherwise, it's self-defeating. Suppose we are interested in winning friends and influencing people, as everyone here says we should be; then it makes sense to stop saying that "the left sucks," which is like a salesman saying, "Never buy this product -- I won't use it myself." -- Yoshie