Israel's right to exist

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Fri Sep 20 09:34:00 PDT 2002

At 08:49 PM 09/19/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> > I think it was and is the thin end of the wedge for Imperialism in the
> > Middle East...
>
>Except it doesn't really make much sense. America gains very little from
>supporting Israel, whereas it loses a fair bit. Strategically Israel is
>useless. Ideologically its a millstone (as shown in the current desperate
>attempts to attack Iraq). Why do the neocons support Israel? Thinktank
>links? Or just a shared insanity?

I don't know. In the past, Israeli mercenaries were quite useful in various terrorist campaigns that were too ugly for the Americans. Currently, if the campaign in the Middle East expands, Israel (armed to the teeth and ready to fight) should be quite helpful. At least, that's what Sharon and the like think.

Joanna