Lefty despair

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Fri Sep 20 12:56:32 PDT 2002

> You're missing the dynamics here. A small part of the "New Left"
> progressively
> withered into sects that didn't know what to make of culture of any sort.
> They
> weren't too good at politics either. The unaffiliated, by contrast, were
> perfectly comfortable with the 'counter-culture.' Of course, most of them
> eventually withered into political inactivity. But people who avoided the
> sects
> often went into local or other projects, or into the labor movement. They
> didn't
> fit your picture of the sectarians.
>
> mbs

Oh yeah, I know there were many New Lefties who could and did appreciate the counterculture (do the degree it was or remained counter) on its own terms and didn't politicize everything they touched. And the unaffliliated were, well, unaffiliated, and therefore not a consistent part of any organized effort, and to that degree could separate politics from fun. Didn't mean to lump them with the sectarians, which would be an awful thing to do.

DP