Mao is Dead -- Be Like Him!

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 20 11:26:25 PDT 2002

>Are you serious? Is Conquest completely lying here? I mean, since the
>Ukraine was under Soviet control, then yes, I would add that to the tally.
>But it's all moot now, no?

Is this addressed to me? Conquest is a responsible scholar and his books are invaluable. But his estimates are based on data that is anecdotal in character and which predates the partial opening of the KGB archives. The best figures are from Getty, based on archival reserach. The stuff is available on the web--I haven't time to look it up now, but it's been posted here within the last couple years and is probably in the archives. Getty estimates the deaths due to "adminstrative measures" and avoidable mortality in the camps as, if memory serves, something like 800,000. The Ukrainian collectization famine probably killed 7-8 million, though the accounting was lessexact.

>---
>I've seen high-end estimates that Stalin killed 20 million. Add that to the
>27 million that died in WWII, and you get almost 50 million. That's
>something like a quarter of the population of the USSR at the time. That
>hardly sounds believable to me, especially since the population grew under
>Stalin.

I'd blame the 27-50 million who died in WWII on the Nazis, wouldn't you?

jks