Entrepreneurship

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall_2 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 20 13:38:18 PDT 2002

>From what I understand, I always thought one of the
biggest 'problems' with "entrepreneurship" was not the cost of health care, ect (notice how this article dismisses health care costs as a problem by saysing that it can easilly be overcome by firing workers--love it when business type folks are honest!)--things that effect workers--but rather this scenerio (which I heard the other day on Marketplace):

Board of Directors or whoever sit down and compare the salaries of other CEOs. In order to keep the company's current CEO from jumping ship, the company must pay him similar. When we got CEOs making ass loads of cash, then we see where there is a problem....Anyhoo, thought you'd like to hear something amusing, so here goes:

Gettysburg College 20-Sep-02

Better Days Ahead for Entrepreneurship Library: BIZ Keywords: ENTREPRENEURSHIP SCANDALS Description: A Sept. 18 USA Today article reported that entrepreneurship is waning, and the culprits may be health costs, financing problems and scandals. A management professor who is developing an entrepreneurship program at Gettysburg College agrees, somewhat, but thinks that better days may be on the horizon.

News Release For Immediate Release Date: 9/18/02 Contact: Mary Dolheimer, 717-337-6801, mdolheim at gettysburg.edu

Gettysburg professor responds to USA Today article on waning entrepreneurship saying better days are ahead

GETTYSBURG, Pa. -- A Sept. 18 USA Today article reported that entrepreneurship is waning, and the culprits may be health costs, financing problems and scandals. A management professor who is developing an entrepreneurship program at Gettysburg College agrees, somewhat, but thinks that better days may be on the horizon.

Some of the explanations offered in the article are valid, especially the financing aspect, said Steve Samaras, a former CPA who handled small-business clients and worked with several corporations to develop strategy and planning. "Several venture capitalists/investors were 'stung' by the failure of so many dot-coms to achieve profitability," Samaras said. "As a result, most sources of venture capital may be more conservative with their funds."

Samaras believes that health care costs may not be an issue for those involuntarily separated from their jobs in a recessionary period but agreed that scandals may be affecting entrepreneurial spirit. "Business has received a black eye from the scandals and the loss of respect/trust extends to all business executives, not only entrepreneurs," he said.

The USA Today article presented as evidence of this a drop in parents' desire for children to pursue becoming entrepreneurs. "An interesting follow-up would be to determine if parents are pushing their children into other career path(s) and what those are," Samaras said. "I suspect these may include some of the traditionally sought-after professions such as medicine and law; or perhaps the arts and sciences."

None of these however, preclude the future prospects of becoming entrepreneurs, Samaras said. In fact, perhaps these pursuits become the seeds for future innovation and new opportunity. "Is it possible that there is simply nothing in the hopper at the present time?"

Gettysburg College is a highly selective four-year residential college of liberal arts and sciences. With nearly 2,400 students, it is located on a 200-acre campus adjacent to the Gettysburg National Military Park. The college was founded in 1832.

-30-

===== Kevin Dean Buffalo, NY ICQ: 8616001 AIM: KDean75206 Buffalo Activist Network http://www.buffaloactivist.net http://www.yaysoft.com