Lefty despair

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Sep 21 09:05:27 PDT 2002

>Ah! An ambiguous chicken-and-egg causal relationship to be sure. Can't
>prove it, but my suspicion is that Americans would spend more time demanding
>good social services if they spent less time yammering about Jesus.
>
>Carl

Probably. I agree with Marx when he said "the criticism of religion is the premise of all criticism." And then there's what he wrote in Contribution to the Critique of Hegel's Philosophy of Right.

Also, as has been pointing out many times on this list, the secular left has been heavily repressed in places such as the Middle East, Iraq and Indonesia, sometimes to the point of extinction, while the religious "left" wasn't given as high a priority. A compliment of sorts.

Peter