Deserving Americans

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Sep 21 09:11:00 PDT 2002

Luke Weiger wrote:
>>The general problem was the US bedding down with bad guys to do bad things,

>That's a huge problem, but generally not for the US. Where's the terrorist
>"blowback" for US policy in Latin America or Indochina?

Heroin & crack, and their accompanying wars in our cities. If by 'blowback' you mean in Christopher Simpson's sense of "unexpected—and negative—effects at home that result from covert operations overseas." Of course he uses the term in documenting recruitment of Nazis into U.S. intelligence services towards the end of WWII. Tim McVeigh apparently learned all about the sanctity of human life shooting surrendering Iraqis and bulldozing them into mass graves during the Gulf War. In a letter home at the time he said it was hard at first but then got easier, like hunting.

Jenny Brown