Lefty despair

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Sat Sep 21 09:14:14 PDT 2002

Doug wrote:
> Yup. I don't see how anyone can deny this, unless s/he's one of the
> extremely self-sacrificing survivors, or under some political
> inhibition about speaking the truth.

Sure, the self-sacrificing guilt-tripping thing is a world-class loser. But what's this pain-pleasure distinction he's got going?

I'm in a movement (feminism) which is constantly baited for being overserious and humorless. But more exciting and interesting meetings you won't find, because we're talking about painful truths. The pain doesn't come from the group, it comes from the way we're treated in our lives. We've got the pain already: dull, self-blaming pain. Then we experience more pain as we find out there is nothing that we can personally do to fix it (since every other woman in the room had the same experience). At the same time, we derive unmatched pleasure from these thunderclaps of clarity, and from learning that we have less power than we thought, but more power than we knew.

I just hope people don't read this 'Future Worth Living' person and think their meetings need to be 'fun' and 'light' or they'll drive people away. More likely, if the serious content is downplayed (and I've seen this happen) people will wander off cause they can think of something better to do for entertainment. I can *always* think of something better to do for entertainment.

But what about sanity, clarity, hope, a sense that your life has meaning, and watching the oppressor scurry for cover? Only through great effort can these be made boring, though I know some who seem to have a knack.

Jenny Brown