Lefty despair

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Sat Sep 21 09:16:24 PDT 2002

>I don't know about Yoshie's reasoning, but I'm getting sick of only hearing
>how "The Left" is depressing, dour, violent, uncaring, etc. ad nauseam. I
>almost weep in relief when I see a more balanced view, such as Justin's.
>
><sigh!> Pass the Pepto . . . .
>
>Todd

As we all know "The Right" is also, then there's the apolitical who don't care enough to even think about the issues. The good thing about the Left, as the corporate scandals have shown, is that our analyses are more often prescient. Political weakness though doesn't seem to be good for morale and therefor for attitude either.

Here's something nice about the left. http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/21/international/europe/21GERM.html

"If the Free Democrats are anxious, the mood of the rival Greens and of their popular leader, Foreign Minister Fischer, is ebullient. A rally in Cologne was full of young people and good humor, with a hoarse Mr. Fischer creating rock star-like excitement, especially as he jabbed away at Mr. Stoiber.

The rally showed once again how far the Greens have traveled from their founding radicalism. They once held that no one should remain in office longer than one term.

Mr. Fischer spoke of climate change, of environmental responsibility, of basic fairness to the poor and of war and peace. "To have more means to have more responsibility for the rest of the world," he said, to great applause, "you must not cut the branch on which you sit."