Lefty despair (Pleasure and pain)

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Mon Sep 23 20:56:14 PDT 2002

Hah! You are right, JBrown! I should have gone beyond the Red Book to find the full quotation! Talk about editing! BTW, let me know when the anti-globalists are out there parading WTO and IMF bureaucrats, CEOs and owners around in dunce caps-- I will make sure to be there watching.

-- David

JBrown wrote: Speaking of editing making things less interesting, the *really* uncut version of the 'revolution is not a dinner party quote' seems more and more relevant here. Who's to say puppets and tofu were not involved? Here goes:

"At the slightest provocation they make arrests, crown the arrested with tall

paper-hats, and parade them through the villages, saying "You dirty landlords, now you know who we are!" Doing whatever they like and turning everything upside down, they have created a kind of terror in the countryside. This is what some people call "going too far," or "exceeding the proper limits in righting a wrong," or "really too much." Such talk may seem plausible, but in fact it is wrong. First, the local tyrants, evil gentry and lawless landlords have themselves driven the peasants to this. For ages they have used their power to tyrannize over the peasants and trample them underfoot; that is why the peasants have reacted so strongly. The most violent revolts and the most serious disorders have invariably occurred in places where the local tyrants, evil gentry and lawless landlords

perpetrated the worst outrages. The peasants are clear-sighted. Who is bad and who is not, who is the worst and who is not quite so vicious, who deserves severe punishment and who deserves to be let off lightly--the peasants keep clear accounts, and very seldom has the punishment exceeded the

crimes. Secondly, a revolution is not a dinner party, or writing an essay, or painting a picture, or doing embroidery; it cannot be so refined, so leisurely and gentle, so temperate, kind, courteous, restrained and magnanimous. A revolution is an insurrection, an act of violence by which one class overthrows another."