Marx and the Matrix, was: Booms, Busts and reactions?

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 24 17:25:09 PDT 2002

Kevin said:

>Did a little poking around on this Mark Blyth character on
>the Pugliese Machine (aka: Google!)...He did a small
>'review' of the Matrix with a Marxist bent here:
>http://www.politologiske.dk/artikel10-ps12.htm

Blyth says about "The Matrix":

"We argue that by offering an image of freedom that begins with the undoing of 'false consciousness', The Matrix manages to preserve a Marxist image of liberation"

Whoa, there's something unexpected. I always took the fact that Neo's voluntarily choosing the Matrix (where he can exercise more power than in the decayed and destroyed real world) over reality was a comment on bourgeois navel gazing: "Let me have all the imaginary power I can get in a make-believe world, just so long as I don't have to live in the real one." To quote the Dead Kennedys, "Drug me, drug me, drug me-me-me!" Any other takes on this?

Todd