Nathan and Imperialsim

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 25 11:33:02 PDT 2002

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Kevin Robert Dean wrote:
>>

>> Or is the problem that Marx's Labor Theory of Value doesn't
>> fit well on a placard?
>>

>Bingo! Neither does Lenin's _Imperialism_ or Wood's _Democracy against
>Capitalism_! Even the fine post Chuck Grimes wrote recently (on pig
>capitalists etc) quite fit. You'd be surprised how hard it is to figure
>out in a given context what should go on the placards.

Back around 1981, there was a brilliant parody of a daily business paper called Off the Wall Street Journal. This was back when that old Paper Chase blowhard John Houseman was doing ads for Smith Barney about making money the old-fashioned way. The OWSJ did a parody ad of this with the blowhard standing in front of a 19th century mill with the tagline - "We make money the old-fashioned way. *They* earn it."

Doug