Hitchens Quits Nation

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 25 14:47:52 PDT 2002

This really is too bad. Even if H moved all the way to the "right," his prose would still liven up the joint.

Of course, this will be used by people to argue that the "intolerant" left has drummed yet another dissident out of its ranks.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/25/politics/25CND-CONG.html

href="http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/25/politics/25CND-CONG.html">http://www.nytimes.com/2002/09/25/politics/25CND-CONG.html</A></DIV>
> [...]
> From: "pms" <laflame at aaahawk.com>
> Subject: First-ever coups, Conservative Christians
> in Ivory Coast
>
> Who coup'ed who, what's really been going on and
> what are the economics
> involved, western goals, etc? Are tens of thousands
> of westerners really
> only there because of brotherly love? Anybody
> suggest some reading to
> figure out situation?
>
> U.S. schoolchildren evacuated from Ivory Coast
> school
>

> Christine Nesbitt/AP
> American children from the Ecole Baptiste
> International Christian Academy in
> Bouake, Ivory Coast, wave from a bus as they are
> evacuated Wednesday.
>

> Staff and wire reports
>
> BOUAKE, Ivory Coast -- American schoolchildren
> waving U.S. flags evacuated a
> rebel-held city under French military escort
> Wednesday, as U.S. special
> forces landed in this West African nation to help
> rescue Westerners caught
> in its deadliest uprising.
>
> The convoy of 10 to 12 cars left Bouake bound for
> Yamoussoukro, 40 miles to
> the south, where U.S. special forces in C-130s
> arrived hours earlier to
> receive them.
>
> Many wearing T-shirts sporting American flags,
> children in the convoy swung
> flags out car windows as the convoy headed to safety
> down the region's main
> road, after a new night of sporadic gunfire outside
> the International
> Christian Academy.
>
> About 100 American children ages 5 to 18 attend the
> mission boarding school,
> intended for sons and daughters of missionaries
> based across Africa. Another
> 60 children also attend the school, which has a
> staff of 40, most of whom
> are American.
>
> U.S. military C-130s carrying the U.S. troops
> touched down at 2 p.m. in
> Yamoussoukro, Ivory Coast's central capital and
> staging area for a French
> rescue mission earlier Wednesday to the cut-off,
> rebel-held city of Bouake.
>
> Richard Buangan, an American diplomat helping to
> coordinate at the staging
> area, said about 300 Americans were trapped in
> Bouake.
>
> "Our idea is to get as many out as possible,"
> Richard Buangan, a U.S.
> diplomat helping to coordinate at the staging area,
> said of the Americans.
>
> U.S. special forces troops spilled out of C-130s at
> the rescue staging area
> in Yammoussoukro, 40 miles to the south of the rebel
> city. Unloading duffel
> bags and metal boxes, U.S. commandoes set up base on
> the side of the airport
> tarmac. The American troops refused comment as they
> worked.
>
> Bouake and the northern opposition stronghold of
> Korhogo fell into rebel
> hands during a bloody coup attempt Thursday. The

=== message truncated ===