Christian scholars say no war

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Sep 27 08:57:38 PDT 2002

> How much oil did Japan have on hand in 1945? I frankly
> have no idea, but I imagine their oil supplies must have
> been dwindling. If so, why couldn't the US just have
> blockaded Japan and waited for their oil to run out?

Interestingly, it was the threat of an oil embargo (and an actual scrap iron embargo) by FDR in 1941 that is seen by many as the trigger for Pearl Harbor. At the time, the US was the world's largest producer and exporter of oil. A full blockade of Japan's major ports was in place by the fall of 1944. Indonesia was their last hope for oil; here's some history:

http://www.gimonca.com/sejarah/sejarah07.html