Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Alan Jacobson ajacobson at igc.org
Fri Sep 27 19:26:25 PDT 2002

Separate from the relative "justification" for intervention based on the assumed target, isn't it important to judge the situation by whether the US ruling power is strengthened or not? In a nutshell, I supported NATO intervention in Bosnia not only because the Serbs were murderous thugs and, at least initially, Bosnia was a multiethnic state attempting to assert self-determination but also that US imperial power was not materially strengthened by doing so. This was not a popular stance to take on the left. I think only Solidarity (of which I am a member) took this position (although more nuanced than I will outline here for space reasons). An invasion of Iraq will strengthen US hegemony and unilateralism immensely and therefore should be opposed.

If it is about Iraqi self-determination, there are other ways to support that effort that don't rely on setting up a puppet regime with very tenuous legitimacy and engaging in a military adventure that threatens to foment 10,000 "al-Queda networks" throughout the Muslim world.

Alan Jacobson