Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 27 22:10:25 PDT 2002

Alan Jacobson wrote:

> Separate from the relative "justification" for intervention based on the
> assumed target, isn't it important to judge the situation by whether the US
> ruling power is strengthened or not? In a nutshell, I supported NATO
> intervention in Bosnia not only because the Serbs were murderous thugs and,
> at least initially, Bosnia was a multiethnic state attempting to assert
> self-determination but also that US imperial power was not materially
> strengthened by doing so.

You and Solidarity were so profoundly wrong. What has strengthened the freedom of operation of u.s. imperiaolism most in the last 20 years is precisely those interventions which got by with least left opposition and received most support from liberals and naive leftists. Haiti did even more damage. The refusal to interfere in Rwanda also strengthened imperialism, since it provided an artificial example of when intervention "would have" been desirable.

Your only excuse is that leftists were so weak then (mostly because of a Democrat being in the white house, that opposition would not have been heard.

Carrol