Hitchens quits Nation

sdfse fsdfwsa legion_john at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 27 12:28:27 PDT 2002

--- Nathan Newman <nathan at newman.org> wrote:
> [...]

I think the problem is the opposite. The strength of antiwar movements and of the left generally has been diminished by the decline in anti-imperialist politics. For instance, during the first Gulf War, a section of the movement, mostly liberals and pacifists, raised the slogan of "sanctions not war" against Iraq. It is now fairly well-known that UN sanctions have killed hundreds of thousands of people and forced ordinary Iraqis to live under siege since '91. The liberals who raised this slogan genuinely wanted peace, but their failure to understand the role of US imperialism-- how, for instances, the US wields the decrees of the UN as weapons when convenient, ignores them when inconvenient-- meant that in practice these activists fostered dangerous illusions. We have to be for the principle self-determination. It's not ambiguous. The only people who have the right to "displace the thugs" in Iraq are the Iraqi people. If you want to get rid of a small-time crook, it does not make sense to call in the mafia don-- he'll only shoot up the whole neighborhood. And, often enough, let the crook himself off scot free. It's up to the neighborhood to clean its own house. That goes for us most of all. Like Karl Liebknecht said, the main enemy is at home.