Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 27 20:50:19 PDT 2002

>I'm not talking about the impact of US intervention on peoples abroad,
>which may be good, bad, or indifferent, if we are simply talking about the
>impact on their _living standards_ alone. I'm talking about the impact of
>US intervention on the _American_ people,

But there is also the global impact, which has to be considered more broadly than the short term effect on a particular target of US intervention. Is is desirable that the US be the dominant global power with untrammelled unilateral power to order the affairs of the whole world by military force if necessary? That is the meaning, quite expressly stated, of the Bush doctrine, that no one will ever be allowed to challenge the US militarily. Rice says this is OK because we're special. Hitch buys this. What about you, Nathan, and you Dennis? What does that sort of role bespeak for democracy on a global scale? I hate to invoke dialectical thinking, but isn't that is what is called for here, a focus on the totality?

jks

_________________________________________________________________ MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: http://photos.msn.com/support/worldwide.aspx