The nature of anarchism (Lefty Despair etc.)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 28 12:24:32 PDT 2002

>>Sure, no one here supports maintaining exploitation. I just think you need
>>law and courts and taxes and a state monopoly on violence.
>>
>>jks
>
>Are the majority of citizens to be disarmed vis-a-vis the state (= a
>minority of citizens) that monopolizes violence? Or are all citizens
>considered members of the state, who have the right and obligation to
>defend liberty and justice when democratic decisions call on them to do so?

A citizen is a member of the state, no? As for gun control, I take no position. I think it is silly to think that a militia of ordinary citizens armed with hunting rifles,s hotguns, and even handguns can take on a modern army with attack helicopters and tanks, but hey, if it would make the people feel better, they are perfectly free to legislate an individual right to bear arms.

>Will there be a standing army and police forever?

Police, probably. A standing army might not be necessary in a just world.

>Will there always be violence -- rape, murder, domestic violence,
>aggravated assault, etc. -- whose suppression demands the use of force,
>regardless of the presence and absence of exploitation and oppressions?

Yes. Sorry to be the one to to tell you. Also, violence aside, you need to be able to back coart orders with coercion, even if it rarely necessary to use it.

jks