The nature of anarchism (Lefty Despair etc.)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sat Sep 28 13:34:05 PDT 2002

Justin says:

>>Are the majority of citizens to be disarmed vis-a-vis the state (=
>>a minority of citizens) that monopolizes violence? Or are all
>>citizens considered members of the state, who have the right and
>>obligation to defend liberty and justice when democratic decisions
>>call on them to do so?
>
>A citizen is a member of the state, no?

Philosophically, yes.

>As for gun control, I take no position. I think it is silly to think
>that a militia of ordinary citizens armed with hunting rifles,s
>hotguns, and even handguns can take on a modern army with attack
>helicopters and tanks, but hey, if it would make the people feel
>better, they are perfectly free to legislate an individual right to
>bear arms.

It's been a serious question in nations such as Afghanistan, where all men seem to be well armed and modern states have failed to develop. It may become a serious question for all of us, in the age of asymmetrical conflict (recall how far determined men could go with box cutters). Setting aside such extreme cases, given the fragile politico-economic conditions, many nations have been plunged into or come to the brink of civil war. It seems monopoly of violence is not easy to achieve.

>>Will there be a standing army and police forever?
>
>Police, probably. A standing army might not be necessary in a just world.
>
>>Will there always be violence -- rape, murder, domestic violence,
>>aggravated assault, etc. -- whose suppression demands the use of
>>force, regardless of the presence and absence of exploitation and
>>oppressions?
>
>Yes. Sorry to be the one to to tell you. Also, violence aside, you
>need to be able to back coart orders with coercion, even if it
>rarely necessary to use it.

What causes such interpersonal violence, then, if not exploitation and oppressions? Disorders in brain chemicals?

As for the enforcement of court orders, don't weight of customs, fear of social ostracism, etc. -- i.e., coercion without police forces -- work just as well, in rare cases where coercion is indeed necessary? -- Yoshie