Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun Sep 29 11:16:33 PDT 2002

At 12:42 PM -0500 9/29/02, Peter K. wrote:
>The US could have allowed more UN peacekeepers or at least equipment
>to go to Rwanda which would have prevented the genocide.

And the US government "could have" chosen not to pursue any of the wars and covert actions that it did pursue in its history. "Could have" only in theory (theory in the pejorative sense of the word), though. The actual course of US action in Rwanda makes sense, as it had its proxy in the RPA; UN peacekeepers would have been in their way.

BTW, I wasn't talking about what the US government "could have" done. I was talking about what US leftists "could have" done (again only in theory -- theory in the pejorative sense of the word). Not the same thing. -- Yoshie