Anti-Imperialism 101 Re: Hitchens quits Nation

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 29 11:27:34 PDT 2002

Btw,
>>what do you think would have been the right position to take about Rwanda,
>>apart from calling on the Tutsis to resist?
>
>No position we (US leftists) could have taken in 1994 would have made any
>difference in Rwanda. If we had acted earlier, say in 1990, vigorously
>opposing US support for Paul Kagame and the Rwanda Patriotic Army (see
>below), or better yet, if we had built our strength enough to effectively
>counter the Washington consensus on economy (see below), we might have been
>able to make a difference. (Likewise, we [US leftists] couldn't have done
>anything to prevent the 9.11 attacks in 2001, but we could have acted
>earlier, when the USSR still existed, to vigorously oppose US support of
>mujahideen in Afghanistan, which might have made a difference.)

If we restrict our thinking about what positions to take to the cases where it would make a difference, we'll have a large degree of agnosticism about almost everything. In fact we edon't know ina dvance where it wouls make a diff. Who would have imagined, Yoshie, that that demo that you and I, among others, organized at OSU against Albright would have kept the Clinton administratioon from invading Iraq? So I ask again, what should we have advocated wrt to Rwanda?

jks