The nature of anarchism (Lefty Despair etc.)

catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Sep 30 22:31:05 PDT 2002

Jenny Brown writes:

> >Of course its possible, though "differences" are something different to
> >the "conflicts of interest" I was referring to. Though there might even
> >be irreconcilable conflict of interest that are not down to class, I can't
> >think of any, but perhaps you have something in mind?
>
>The conflict of interest between men and women comes to mind, not to say it's
>NOT a class conflict (the original division of labor, no less) but just to
>say that it's probably not what you had in mind when you said class. Sexual
>reproduction, for all its wonderful innovation (biologically speaking), does
>tend to divide a species.

Well this depends on what you actually mean by "differences". If you mean social differences -- in the conflicts of interest sense -- I think there's a valid argument that differences between men and women are class differences. That is, in the sense that we actually use the term "class" today, which is in a more general sense descriptive of "economic" inequalities rather than class in Marx's more specific sense.

Catherine