"Bad" Mothers: The Politics of Blame Re: Radio Doug

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Apr 1 11:09:53 PST 2003

RE wrote:

> I agree that it's very important to be careful not to overlook physiological
> problems. At the same time, for example, one fairly common misdiagnosis is
> to assume that an elderly patient suffering from memory loss may be sliding
> into Alzheimer's, when they may be suffering from depression. So instead of
> getting treatment for depression, the retirement center evaluation machinery
> starts cranking up. One shouldn't assume memory loss is repression-related,
> but you can't methodologically rule out repression, because it does occur.

I would think that what needs explanation here is the medical practice. Why does this misdiagnosis occur? And I think the most important kind of explanation would be social/political, not psychological. We can do something politically, but if we explain it in terms of the psychology,motivation, etc. of the physicians, psychologists, nursing-home managers, we will be faced with the impossible task of individually transforming each and every physcician, psychologist, and nursing-home manager in the nation, which is impossible.

Carrol