"Bad" Mothers: The Politics of Blame Re: Radio Doug

RE earnest at tallynet.com
Tue Apr 1 11:58:28 PST 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Carrol Cox" <cbcox at ilstu.edu> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com>

:
: I would think that what needs explanation here is the medical practice.
: Why does this misdiagnosis occur? And I think the most important kind of
: explanation would be social/political, not psychological.

I think your point focuses on a topic from another thread but, anyway, I agree, at least with respect to appreciating that there's a set of institutionalized relationships that enforce a bias in favor of this misdiagnosis.

: We can do
: something politically, but if we explain it in terms of the
: psychology,motivation, etc. of the physicians, psychologists,
: nursing-home managers, we will be faced with the impossible task of
: individually transforming each and every physcician, psychologist, and
: nursing-home manager in the nation, which is impossible.

I accept the necessity of a political approach that doesn't hinge on engaging the personality dynamics of all concerned. At the same time, I find the idea of some kind of background critique of authoritarianism/sexism/classism et al that draws in some ways on psychodynamic ideas to be persuasive. For example, I think that a fully developed critical understanding of class relationships is obliged to include some reference to paternalism/maternalism. It may not prove to be necessary to ground a movement, but if we want to fully comprehend the root*s* of the problem, then understanding how people can come, to put it generally, to put aside hateful feelings towards a boss for "appreciative" feelings is important, and it can't be boiled down to deliberately chosen affective investments. But, it's not clear to me how that knowledge could be practically applied. Reich seemed to think, or at least eventually came to think, that sexual freedom would undercut the basis for libidinal ties to authority. That hasn't proven to be the case, although some people have had fun in the process of trying.

Randy

:
: Carrol
: