oil and OPEC

Kevin Robert Dean qualiall at union.org.za
Tue Apr 1 20:43:58 PST 2003

Again, I do apologize if this has been mentioned before, I didn't get a chance to read all the threads on this matter, but I was curious as to what happened to oil prices and employment during and after Gulf War I and ran across these interesting things:

The first is from a WSJ article on predictions on what might happen to the economy after this present war--the conclusion seems to be the same as everyone else--no one knows--

http://www.stern.nyu.edu/News/news/2003/march/0324wsj.html

Secondly, the Washington Institute (I have no idea who these guys are) has some interesting things to say about OPEC and the effects a 'win' in Iraq will have on OPECs power--they conclude it will weaken, and oil prices will fall---which is good news for oil consumers, and bad for "one crop" economies who export the black gold.

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/pubs/exec/consexec.htm --- Sent from UnionMail Service [http://mail.union.org.za]