[lbo-talk] Re: oil and OPEC

Paul_A paul_a at igc.org
Wed Apr 2 08:27:17 PST 2003

Thanks Kevin for posting this. The second one (from the Wash. Inst. for Nr.East Policy) is a publication from '92 and the last Gulf War (I remember debating it with them) - which should tell you just how indeterminate these things can be.

I hope I am not repeating too much but I do think that - at least in the first instance - the money issue will not be oil prices (which could go any which way and depend on lots of factors). It will be the new split in the profits and control: 3rd world country vs. private western companies. In that sense it will be misleading to look at the "strength of OPEC'. Hasn't OPEC policy always had conflicting pressures, partly (mostly?) from 3rd world governments as producers/owners but also sometimes friendly to the private western oil companies with whom all have links in some areas? That balance will now shift. The "strength" of OPEC could go down, up, or stay the same. But the focus within OPEC policy will shift to being yet more representative of the private companies' concerns.

On to the next step: as the nationalist "modernization" governments of OPEC weaken, and as their share of the profits diminish in favor of the foreign private companies, what happens to the fundamentalist movements and the frustrations that make them flourish?

There will be serious changes in the development patterns of the Middle East. I don't think the impact of this war will just be short term anger.

Paul