Jimmy Carter: mustn't impede the war

eric dorkin eric_dorkin at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 2 06:56:36 PST 2003

for such insight, one should get the Nobel PEACE Prize

LouPaulsen <LouPaulsen at attbi.com> wrote:Per Carter, we have the right to express our opinions, as long as we don't say anything that would impede the war effort. Nice to have the limits laid out for us.

Carter: Americans Should Support Troops 44 minutes ago Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By CARYN ROUSSEAU, Associated Press Writer

LITTLE ROCK - Former President Jimmy Carter says Americans should support troops fighting the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and he hopes they return quickly with a minimal loss of life to both the coalition forces and Iraqis.

A Nobel Peace Prize winner, Carter opposed a unilateral attack on Iraq before the outbreak of fighting, saying it would not meet his standards for a "just war" and would violate basic religious principles and respect for international law.

He said at the time that the Bush administration had presented an unconvincing case linking the al-Qaida terror network to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein (news - web sites).

But Tuesday, Carter said that, since the war has begun, he would remain quiet and express support for the troops.

"I hope that the plans will be carried out expeditiously," he said.

He added, though, that it was appropriate for Americans to express their opinions about the war.

"I think it's perfectly legitimate for people to express their own assessment of a very complex situation, even though those assessments might be contrary to one another," he said. "Such dissent in a democracy is appropriate, *****just as long as we don't do anything or say anything that might detract from the ability of our troops overseas to return home successfully.*****"