[lbo-talk] Atlantic Monthly Editor Killed in Iraq

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Fri Apr 4 10:01:43 PST 2003

Jeet Heer wrote:

>I don't think one should gloat over anyone's death. Period. Kelly's death is
>horrible as are the slaughter of countless Iraqi who will go unnamed in the
>Western press. To avoid such killing is a major reason for opposing stupid
>imperial adventures of this sort. I didn't know Kelly either, although we
>had mutual friends. I had no truck with his column, which was pretty much
>right-wing boiler-plate. But he was a gifted reporter (it's hard to forget
>his vivid coverage of the "mile of death" created by the US military as they
>fled from Kuwait in the last Gulf War). Also a good editor -- the Atlantic
>Monthly vastly improved under his tenure. It had been a snorefest before he
>came along. So despite any and all reservations I have about his political
>views, I don't think he (or anyone else) deserved death. Jeet

"The left in America has for a long time now resembled not so much a political movement as a contest to see how many schismatics could dance on the head of a pin, a conversation that has gone from being national to factional to simply eccentric. At some point, progressive politics reached a state where freeing Mumia was considered critical and electing a Democratic president was considered optional."

-Michael Kelly, Jan. 22, 2003