[lbo-talk] Atlantic Monthly Editor Killed in Iraq

Jeet Heer jeet at sturdynet.com
Fri Apr 4 09:50:59 PST 2003

I don't think one should gloat over anyone's death. Period. Kelly's death is horrible as are the slaughter of countless Iraqi who will go unnamed in the Western press. To avoid such killing is a major reason for opposing stupid imperial adventures of this sort. I didn't know Kelly either, although we had mutual friends. I had no truck with his column, which was pretty much right-wing boiler-plate. But he was a gifted reporter (it's hard to forget his vivid coverage of the "mile of death" created by the US military as they fled from Kuwait in the last Gulf War). Also a good editor -- the Atlantic Monthly vastly improved under his tenure. It had been a snorefest before he came along. So despite any and all reservations I have about his political views, I don't think he (or anyone else) deserved death. Jeet

----- Original Message ----- From: Chuck0 <chuck at mutualaid.org> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, April 04, 2003 12:21 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Atlantic Monthly Editor Killed in Iraq