[lbo-talk] Re: war propaganda

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 21:16:06 PST 2003

So you say that in one of the two concrete cases where you discussed thi, you accepted as plausible the absurd belief that class interests operate directly to explain behavior without psychological mediation. Since you reject the idea that psychological factors can ever be explanans and have expressly stated that they are always explananda, you must hold that some other non-class-interest factor but nonpsychological explains other phenomena. This is still mechanical Marxism. Frankly, until I heard you and Carrol assert this absurd view, I would havesaid that it was a straw man that no intelligent Marxist ever actually believed. jks

Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:>Carrol stated that psychological factors are like the cries of the
>drowning, which do not cause him to drown. You state that
>psychological factors are always dependent variables, never
>explanatory, merely explanans. I stand by my claim. jks

Sure, but I don't recall saying that "class interests," considered as merely economic interests, are direct determinants of the "psycho-sexual" matters, perhaps with the exception of my restatement of Luker's explanation of the rise of anti-abortion ideology in the late-nineteenth century (she attributes it to male medical doctors' attempt at professionalization of medicine). -- Yoshie

* Calendar of Events in Columbus: