[lbo-talk] Fw: campus article

steve philion philion at hawaii.edu
Sat Apr 5 11:03:26 PST 2003

a letter I sent the author of the NYT article:

Ms. Zernike, I have to say when I read articles like yours I feel encouraged. Only a few months ago the NYT was ignoring or understimating the numbers turning out for anti-war protests, yet the numbers only increased, so much so that the NYT had to publish retractions of earlier claims of low numbers. Now your article downplays the extent of opposition to the war among students on campuses and attempts to play students off against professors (ignoring the younger professors involved in antiwar activity). Great, this is a good sign, the campus movement has developed to a point that it has to be trivialised or underestimated. A good sign for future development.

Stephen Philion MPLS, MN