[lbo-talk] on lawyers (was Re: war propaganda)

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Mon Apr 7 11:57:22 PDT 2003

Carl Remick wrote:
>[By golly, Justin, as PR-spinning goes, it's hard to beat your
>clarion declaration of juridical high-mindedness. But our legal
>system is of course a sham. From the NY Times, the latest exhibit:]
>
>Prison Rates Among Blacks Reach a Peak, Report Finds
>
>By FOX BUTTERFIELD
>
>An estimated 12 percent of African-American men ages 20 to 34 are in
>jail or prison, according to a report released yesterday by the
>Justice Department.

>The report found that the number of people in United States jails
>and prisons exceeded 2 million for the first time last year, rising
>to 2,019,234. ...

Yeah, that's a sham, but I don't get how that contradicts Justin. It's the atrocious Drug War that's behind that, and that's the work of Congress and the Prez. I suspect a major, but not exclusive, source of the absurdities associated with lawyers is largely due to the fact that they inhabit the intersection of Law and the governed.

As for PR versus Law: When I took logic there were two legal professionals in the class. This was separate from their training in law, as both were already working in the field. They were extremely receptive to the discussion of fallacies (something they'd never had before), and were vocal about how useful this knowledge would be for them. The instructor said this wasn't the first time he'd seen this. Most of the marketing/PR types I've run across have the exact opposite reaction.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com