[lbo-talk] on lawyers (was Re: war propaganda)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Apr 7 12:30:25 PDT 2003

Wherever the various negative views of lawyers come from, the main _use_ to which the prejudice is currently being put is in defending corporations and insurance companies against damage suits. It isn't because corporations kill people that they are being sued. It is all because of greedy lawyers. It's a variation on the old cliches about outside agitators. E.g., reds -- wherever you find them, they come from someplace else. Back in the '60s when my name appeared with some frequency in the Bloomington (Illinois) newspaper, it was interesting that if the event covered occured in Normal (where the university was located) I was often identified as a Bloomington resident; if the event occured in Bloomington, I was identified as an ISU professor.

Carrol