[lbo-talk] Iraq war "clearer" to Americans than WW 2

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Mon Apr 7 13:18:29 PDT 2003

> Yes and Bush doesn't talk about oil, yet a lot of people think that is
> related to his policy.

This has nothing to do with your claim that rallies are clearly pro-Saddam. I'd also dispute that people don't question the motives of the WWP, ANSWER, etc. If these groups want to organize the buses and get the permits, fine, but I--and a lot of others--aren't signing on to their program or giving them $$$, and do criticize their ugly, stupid positions.

> What's amazing is that so many progressives want average folks to be
> sophisticated and look beyond the upfront rhetoric of conservatives like
> Bush, yet question why anyone would ever question the motives behind the
> rhetoric of a group like the Workers World.
>
> I find that while a lot of folks don't have all the information I wish they
> could have, they are far smarter and sophisticated than the left gives them
> credit for. Which explains a lot of the left's bouts of anti-populist
> despair and simplistic sloganeering and repugnant coalitions, as if the
> masses are too stupid to question such alliances.

And how are the mainstream Dems are catering to these folks--besides thinking they're stupider than you think the left thinks they are?