[lbo-talk] war propaganda

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Mon Apr 7 14:30:33 PDT 2003

> From: andie nachgeborenen
>

> CB: Your "So you say that in one of the two concrete cases where you
> discussed this, you accepted as plausible the absurd belief that class
> interests operate directly to explain behavior without psychological
> mediation "

does not seem like an accurate characterization of Yoshie's

"I don't recall saying that "class interests," considered as merely economic interests, are direct determinants of the "psycho-sexual" matters, perhaps with the exception of my restatement of Luker's explanation of the rise of anti-abortion ideology in the late-nineteenth century (she attributes it to male medical doctors' attempt at professionalization of medicine)."

Since you reject the idea that psychological factors can ever be explanans

CB: I think it's "psychological " factors can never be explanans of social phenomena.

and
> have expressly stated that they are always explananda, you must hold that
> some other non-class-interest factor but nonpsychological explains other
> phenomena. This is still mechanical Marxism.

CB: No , it's not socalled mechanical Marxism. It's social determinism.

^^^^^^

Frankly, until I heard you and Carrol assert this absurd view, I would havesaid that
> it was a straw man that no intelligent Marxist ever actually believed. jks

CB: Me thinks ye doth protest too much